Dan De Vos is a partner and registered US patent attorney whose practice focuses on counseling in connection with Intellectual Property matters at start-up, mid-sized, and Fortune 100 companies. He provides a broad range of patent related services including managing patent portfolio development (drafting and prosecuting patent applications), conducting offensive and defensive patent reviews, rendering opinions on third party patents, post-grant proceedings including Inter Partes Reviews and ex-parte reexaminations, and providing technical support during litigation (e.g., drafting expert reports, technology tutorials, interrogatories).
Dan counsels start-ups through acquisition or IPO (e.g., Imperva, Inc., Meraki, Inc., Valicert, Inc., Malleable Technologies, Inc., Cavium Networks, Inc., Data Domain, Inc.), as well as supports in-house counsel of larger corporations.
Prior to his law career, he worked as an engineer at Lockheed Martin in Houston, Texas, programming a simulator for a Space Shuttle component in C.
If you can’t find him at his desk, Dan is busy adventuring with his family on bike rides, hikes, and beach excursions.
- Network security
- Routing protocols
- Network management
- Compression and decompression of data, including video and audio
- Databases, including object oriented designs
- Programming language extensions
- Web applications, such as ecommerce order fulfillment and search engines
- Mobile device games
- Network devices
- Optical transports
- Firewall/VPN security appliances
- Evolved Packet Core devices
- Disk based storage systems for data recovery
- Processors (including general purpose, network, and security)
- Four notable patents, three of which Dan handled the drafting and prosecution, one in which he handled only prosecution, have been enforced through litigation. One of these patents was awarded the client’s 2002 Patent of the Year Award.
- Provided litigation support services to large litigation firms on several cases.
- Prepared and prosecuted both inter partes reviews and ex parte reexams on behalf of prestigious companies, such as Facebook, Guidewire and Autodesk.
- Listed in 2022 and 2021 editions of IAM Global Leaders Guide
- Listed in the 2013-2020 IAM Patent 1000 — The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
- Listed in the Managing Intellectual Property’s 2014 IP Stars: Top US IP Lawyers
- Listed in the 2009-2011 IAM 250 and 2017-2021 IAM Strategy 300 — The World’s Leading IP Strategists
- Named one of the Top Patent Prosecutors by Patent Buddy
- Voted one of 2004 and 2005’s “Super Lawyers”
- Nominated “Top California IP Attorney 2008” in the category “Top 25 IP Portfolio Manager” by The Daily Journal
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Texas, 1993
Undergraduate / Graduate Education:
- B.S., Computer Science, Magna Cum Laude; Texas A & M University, 1990